NiuDun100 is an App discovery and download platform. It enables consumers to explore and download apps iOS App Store running in any country. The primary need of NiuDun100 is to attract more user to explore and download apps in NiuDun’s ecosystem. According to the user research, we design a UGC community to address this need.
UX/UI design, usability test, user research
Worked with PM and three other designers. Led the strategy analysis, ideation and visual design.
Apr 2020 - May 2020
Improve the download experience and solved the business problems in increasing user engagement.
Gained positive user feedback.
New community feature was launched in Oct 2020.
Niudun100 is a is a global App discovery and download platform.
8000+ daily new registered users
Niudun100 is an app download platform that displays apps across different countries.
It enables users to easily download apps across countries by providing redirect link to the AppStore download page. Niudun100 offers cash back if users download the app through its link.
For business owners and app developers, Niudun100 provides them with a place to do promotion.
We set up a meeting with stakeholders including a product lead and a tech lead in Niudun100 to learn about the industry insights, business goal and their current needs.
The client need is quite broad and somehow ambiguous, so the next step is to decide the specific problem statement. Therefore, we did a user testing with 5 users to evaluate the current user experience.
The goal of the usability test is to evaluate how well the current design can support users to download apps and how users feel about it.
Usability task - users are supposed to finish:
In Niudun100, download a new foreign app that you're interested in and try to get cash back.
1. Users have problems in directly finding the app they like, and usually pick up one randomly at last.
2. The current HTML format is less preferred than an app on a smartphone.
3. To withdraw cash back is complex.
We got three problems based on the testing result. In order to decide which problem we are going to solve, I analyzed the three directions with impacts and constraints.
The core product value of Niudun100 is to help iOS users download global apps. I used the Kano Model to categorize features in Niudun100 and identified the basic (threshold) features, performance features, and bonus (excitement) features according to the product goal.
We decided to move forward with the problem 1, to help user find apps they like more efficiently.
By observing users' behaviors, it seems like users are usually confused and quickly lost in a mass of available apps. They are not sure about if the app is good to try or not and usually need to go to other places, such as social media, to search for information.
User Journey: explore before download
1. Download apps based on recommendations, such as from friends or KOL.
2. AppStore and commercial ads don't provide enough convincing information.
3. Authentic reviews and personal app experiences are important.
4. Users like to share apps they like with others.
1. See other users' experiences using particular apps.
2. Read recommendations and real comments about apps.
3. Being able to share their own thoughts.
4. Get latest news about popular apps or promotions.
5. Different experience compared to Apple AppStore.
1. Enable users to browse and share interesting apps and personal experience in a bigger community.
2. To reduce the startup cost, Niudun100 official account will provide daily news and promotions to keep the community active.
3. Let users stay on the Niudun100 platform longer and improve user engagement.
1. Users can browse news for apps.
2. Users can create, share and save the content they like.
3. Encourage user to take action: the target app is shown on the right.
4. For bussinese owner, they are able to post promotion for their products.
Users can read latest news of the global apps, which makes exploration easier and happier.
Users can post images, texts even videos to share their true app experience, and can freely browse to find interesting apps in NiuDun100 community.
When users share contents, they can involve more potential users in NiuDun's platform.
Change to more recognizable icons, making Community and User Profile intuitive and understandable.
Given that Niudun100 wants to expand its business to the international market, we redesigned the Coupon icon to make it more universal. (The initial icon is hard to understand beyond Chinese culture.)
Keep visual consistency and adjust the margin. Each icon is tap-able and follow human-centered design.
We did user test to evaluate the prototype and gathered feedback from 8 users. The user group covered 23 - 45 years old and included both new users and tech-savvy.
New user group said they wanted cues to get started. For people who are more proficient in apps, they want to navigate desired content more quickly and efficiently.
For who are new to Niudun100 community, we provide a simple page for them to pick topics they like, and system will recommend content based on their choices.
We add categories on the top to (1) help quickly navigate; (2) allow users to explore other topics when changing preferences.
We moved the download access to the bottom of the post and let it take the whole width. The intention for this is to make the download link more accessible therefore increase the click rate. We combined a download icon to help encourage user to take action.
Second round user test: A/B testing to evaluate the click rate before and after optimizing the download access.
To be continue...
Edit: Niudun100 shipped its new community feature on October, 2020. In the current version, it posts daily news and promotions of apps. It brought an increase in user base and engagement. There are around 200 daily new users coming to Niudun100.